Tuesday, September 20, 2011

This week you must #focus...

I remember when I used to be hesitant about using the social network Twitter. I didn't think I had anything to say that really mattered (and sometimes I really don't). But I began to realize that it's an outlet more than anything. You don't have to have some huge moment of realization or create something novel to tweet about it. It's all about what you're feeling at the time. If people don't want read it, they don't have to follow you. Simple as that. And sometimes you find some HILARIOUS things on Twitter. I use it to follow not only the news stations, but about new science findings, as well as my guilty pleasures with really really bad TV personas, sports teams and artists.

One of my favorite people I follow is @RevRunWisdom. Yes, that is none other than Rev Run (from Run DMC, he has his own TV show, Run's House). And while that seems silly and a bit ridiculous to follow Rev Run, I'll tell you exactly why I love it when he tweets about something. Sometimes it's not useful, but he tweets a lot of things that we need to remember. For example: he tweeted on Monday, "This week you MUST >>> #Focus = (F)ollow (O)ne (C)ourse (U)ntil (S)uccessful. So many times, we try to pull ourselves in all different directions, trying to get everything done at once. This reminds me that you have to do get things done, first and foremost. It's great if you can do multiple things at the same time, but if they're not followed into completion, all that multitasking and time was wasted. And it's nice to have reminders like that.

Another tweet I really enjoyed was from today: "You'll never be more successful than your goals. #hoping #wishing is not a strategy." It's a great thing to make goals, and challenge yourself on a day-to-day basis. Whether it's whether you can do another rep in your workout, do better on a test or assignment, or complete an all-out time consuming project at work, you have to set a goal for yourself and try to reach that goal. If you don't reach that goal, yes, there's disappointment that accompanies it. But why play it safe and not have goals you want to reach? Challenging yourself seems to make life more fulfilling and fun. But maybe that's just me :)

One last tweet for today, although it's not from @RevRunWisdom... it's from @fitnessmagazine (another one of my favorite accounts to follow. I've kinda become a fitness junkie, while still occasionally listening to the fat kid inside me)... "The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work for it. #FitQuote" Again, it has to do with the whole thing of thinking positive. You make a goal, you work for it, and you think you can do it. Most of the time, it really does work. I'm sure we all have goals we'd like to obtain, but how many of us are willing to put forth the time and effort necessary to reach our goal?

Some goals of mine over the next few months:

  1. Maintain a balance of school work, tutoring, working out and social interaction. Too easily, one or more of these are neglected. Most of my time will be going towards the first 3 things, but I definitely will need to be sane and have social interaction with people.
  2. Lose 10 pounds. Yes, I know that seems silly, but I'm not doing it because of some distorted view I have of myself. It's more along the lines of, I'll be healthier when losing 10 pounds. I'm not trying to fit into size 2 clothing or anything. I just want to feel (and look) good. Nothing wrong with that.
  3. Keep in good contact with my friends. It is definitely easy to lose contact with people once you're no longer living 10 feet away from them or in the same regional area. So if it takes letters, phone calls, emails, etc., I'll do it. 
  4. Do well in my schoolwork. Yes, I know it has to do with #1. But Centre broke me out of the whole "I'm smart and I can get good grades if I work hard" mold. I have to keep a B average, but why not try to obtain more?
What are your goals for the next few months? And are you willing to do what it takes to obtain the final product?

That's all for now. School starts tomorrow... so let the madness begin! Latro, my lovelies.

1 comment:

  1. I love all of your awesome tweets! And your goals too! Mine are pretty similar, mostly about finding a balance. I tend to put too much emphasis on one thing, usually either studying or friends, and it tips the scale way easily. Good luck on your first day!

    ReplyDelete