Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The cost of an education.

Being in graduate school is definitely no walk in the park. I didn't think it would be, but there are some days where I just wonder why it is so difficult at times. The classes are very invigorating (yes, even Advanced Inorganic Chemistry), and I LOVE being back in academia. There was definitely something missing when I was just working. I just hope that my next job after I get out of grad school has some kind of mental stimulation as well. Otherwise, I think I'll feel like grad school was almost a waste.

Speaking of school, and getting enjoyment out of it, something I've always pondered is the cost of an education. I thought a lot about it when I was at Centre, having it be so difficult and really expensive. Reflecting on my time in undergrad, I definitely thought that the amount it cost to go there was worth it for me personally. But now, being at University of Cincinnati, I am paying about 40% as much a year to go to school here, and get my masters degree. So it makes me wonder, who sets the price on getting a good education? Is it really about the label you get with it? Or is about what you make out of the time you are at an institution?

Another thing I always wonder about: the pricing increase when it comes to out-of-state tuition. As a generation that doesn't tend to stay in one place for long, it seems difficult to go to grad school (especially if you're the one who is paying for it) out of your state. Why do state boundaries have to keep us from achieving the most we can? I understand that without an increase in price, then everyone would attempt to apply to the "big name" schools, but aren't the panel in admissions supposed to handle that? Or why such a large price increase? And another thought: some schools require you to sign a contract that if you are coming from out-of-state, you are required to pay the out-of-state tuition during the entirety of your education at that institution. Isn't that a bit ridiculous? Some people want to move into the area and settle down there, but what's the advantage of going to that university when they're are having to pay a ridiculous amount of money to go there?

... I know this isn't a very positive blog post. More neutral than anything. But I definitely think that regardless of where one goes to further their education, the cost of an education is what you get out of it. Not just academically (which is obviously the most important aspect, after all, that's why you're furthering your education), but emotionally, socially. You can gain tons of networking opportunities, and find something you are very passionate about, regardless of where you're going to school. And I think that always needs to be the forefront of what you think about when it comes to an education: what you gain from continuing your education. Wherever that might be.

Some positivity at the end of the post, for good times sake: I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today! --> from the lovely @RevRunWisdom twitter. Go out and take life by the horns! Don't be afraid of the future, as there are so many possibilities for each and every one of us. We get through it all day by day. And by making the most of everyday, it's amazing what you can accomplish.

Okay, back to lovely inorganic reading and analytical studying! Later, loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment