Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It all pays off in the end.

Hello to all the lovely people out there! Yes, I am DEFINITELY in a better, more chipper mood than I was with my last post. Everyone gets down, gets stressed... if you don't, then that's great! But if you do, it's just a human emotion. It happens. The important thing is that you deal with your stress in a healthy and controlled manner, and then bounce back on top! :)

There have been many developments lately that have made me a very happy girl! For example, tonight I had my first exam for graduate school in chemical separations. Thanks to some great friends and some practice exams, I feel like I dominated that exam. (I guess we'll see once I get my exam back and what my score is.) And I haven't felt that good after coming out of an exam in a long, long time. So it feels good to be able to succeed, and now I can focus most of my time on the inorganic exam I have coming up next week.

One big big BIG development when it comes to graduate school: the past few weeks, we've had the faculty come and give presentations on what their research is they are doing, and the ones that speak are looking for students to join their lab groups. I've talked to a couple professors whose research I'm interest in, and I'm excited for the possibilities of each one. However, when I was talking to the first professor, I had told him that I was only a masters student, and we began to talk about that. Long story short, I told him I would definitely rather be getting my PhD, but I thought it wasn't possible. Turns out that if I can get my grades to where the PhD students have to keep it (aka a 3.3 GPA for all 3 quarters, instead of the 3.0 that masters students need), and I pass the intro to research class, then I can talk to the admissions council and the graduate head and discuss the possibility of me switching over to the PhD track! Talk about a HUGE surprise, and what a great, wonderful, fantastic surprise it was! So, obviously if I continue to work hard, I can get into the PhD program and not be too far behind!

So it's been a good week or so for me, school wise. And I'm hoping it's been a good week for everyone else as well!

Positive thought for the day: Work hard, play hard. I know at Centre, we always used to say, Work hard, play harder. But I think the original phrase works better. You shouldn't reward yourself if you haven't made progress in something. Hard work really does pay off. It's a delicate balance, but if you work hard, you definitely need to play hard. Just because not to play too hard (believe me, I know what that's like).

Quote of the day: (since it was Columbus day the other day, and this quote fits in with my positive thought for the day) "By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chose goal or destination." - Christopher Columbus

Whatever you are working toward, I wish you positive thoughts and energy. We can all use some of that. :)

Back to the grind of grad school though. Inorganic and organic chemistry are calling my name :) Good night, all you lovely people.

No comments:

Post a Comment