Thursday, May 29, 2014

Why you gotta be so rude? Don't you know I'm human too?

I was going to write about the tragedy at UCSB, the #YesAllWomen tweets, and something in remembrance of Brogan Dulle, a 3rd year student at UC who was missing for a week before being found dead near his apartment. I was going to write about how cruel this world is, for taking away innocent lives that didn't deserve their fate. I was going to write about how the world needs to change its view on rape culture. I was going to write about the sadness the Cincinnati community feels with the loss of Brogan, even though we had never crossed paths.

Instead. I'm going to write about appreciating all the good that we have in our lives. It's awful that terrible events are the things that remind us of what is important, what is good, and really what a bad day looks like. But that's just life.

I know for myself, my family and friends are most important to me. They keep me going through everyday events. I am a very lucky girl to not have lost any person that I am close to, and I need to remember that. I don't always stay in touch with friends and family like I should, and this is a good reminder that I should do so. Tell the people I love just that, that I care for them and wish nothing but the best for them.

My education is extremely important as well, and as much as I bitch and complain about having to do work, so many people don't even get the opportunity to receive an education, or get to the point where I am. And that in itself is an amazing feat, but there is so much more to accomplish. I can't wait to see what happens next.

I appreciate every opportunity that has come my way, and I appreciate all the support in my choices. I know that it's not easy to be happy on a consistent basis, but I really have been happy for a long time now. It's so easy to take that for granted, and with these reminders recently, I know I will continue to work hard to stay happy, and to also help others find happiness through the day.

Even though I didn't know the Dulle family, or the people who suffered in California, my thoughts and prayers go out to them during this challenging and trying time.

Who do you appreciate? What things make you happy, and how can you show that you are grateful? When facing adversity, how do you rise above it?

Find something, small or big, that you are thankful for, and show your appreciation. Pay it forward. We are all  human after all, let's treat each other that way.


2 comments:

  1. Good Post. Good Points! It's so important to apprecaite the little things and not overlook them.

    I love you - let's hand out soon! (I swear I will stop cancelling at the last minute).

    ReplyDelete