Thursday, December 1, 2011

I be on that chem grind, all day, every day.

How in the world did it get to be December? I know everyone is thinking it... 2011 is almost over, and 2012 is almost here? Where has the time gone? Don't get me wrong, 2011 has been a good year, but it's just crazy to think about how quickly time passes when you don't realize it. It just seems like yesterday that I graduated from Centre, got a job, quit my job and started grad school. But those events were a year and a half, a year and 3 months, 4 months, and 3 months ago, respectively. Nuts, right? But even though it's hard to think about time passing, I think it's good to reflect on what has happened in the past, and be appreciative of the future time we will have.

While time keeps flying by, it seems like FOREVER until I'm finished with my first quarter of grad school. Why? Because we're coming up on the dreaded finals week... dun dun dun. Actually, I don't think finals will be TOO bad this year. After taking 9 semesters worth of finals (post grad class last spring is #9), by the 10th try, I should know how to prepare for these, right? (At least that's what I keep telling myself) But it's been a good time getting back to the chemistry grind, and releasing my inner nerd.

Besides just studying chemistry, I've also been tutoring some undergrads this quarter in general chemistry. It's amazing how everything that is learned in general chemistry seems so random, and doesn't make sense when you take it the first time, but having ALL the other chemistry classes, you begin to see how the things that were so random make sense. I've enjoyed tutoring again this quarter, and it's always great to see the lightbulb go off in these kids' heads. It's an even bigger honor whenever someone asks you if you can tutor them the next quarter. It makes me feel like I'm doing a good job, and that this is where I'm supposed to be, and I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to.

So while I want finals to be over, and to get a MUCH NEEDED break from chemistry, there's no doubt in my mind that chemistry is for me. Sure it may be challenging (more often than not), but I get the most satisfaction in completing something that I find extremely difficult. (Maybe I'm weird, but I already knew that)

Time is a funny thing. Sometimes we want it to speed up, sometimes we want it to slow down, or stop completely. But it tends to go at the exact pace we need; it just takes us some time to realize it. We need to remember to look around and experience life as it happens, otherwise it'll pass us by. I know I need to remember to do that, because it's such a great place we live it.

Some countdowns (to keep me sane):

  • 9 days until finals are over
  • 10 days until some of my girls come visit
  • 11 days until I'm home (for a bit, back to Cincy on the 13th, and then back home again the 18th)
  • 12 days until sushi date with my partner in crime
  • 14 days until Columbus trip
  • 16 days until bestie night out in Cincy (pt. 2)
  • 21 days until I see my best friend (that I haven't seen in about a year and 4 months)
  • 22 days until ugly sweater/karaoke night
  • 24 days until Christmas
  • 29 days until my bestie's birthday
  • 30 days until New Years

While I'm counting down (especially to the end of finals), I'm excited to live everyday to the fullest. What are some things you are looking forward to this month (and for 2012)?

I'll leave you with a nice chemistry picture. After all, everyone enjoys chemistry just as much as I do, right?

Separations at its finest!


No comments:

Post a Comment